Friday, September 3, 2010

Stella Star Tends Bar


All right, this Dr. Pepper commercial (in both 60 second and 30 second variants) is from the 80s, not the 70s, and, technically, beyond the purview of this blog. But then, I made the rules, so I guess I can break them.

The lovely Caroline Munro - Starcrash's own Stella Star - portrays the barmaid of this alien-packed intergalactic ginmill, which is clearly a homage to the Star Wars cantina scene.... and I thought it was too cool not to post it here. A lot of production value there for a soft drink commercial, but it was the Eighties, after all.

3 comments:

  1. That's a pretty amazing for a friggin' Dr. Pepper commercial. I remember a hokier one for 7up I think that was run the first time they showed Wrath of Khan on TV. It featured two chicks with vulcan ears that lit up with glee when they sampled the earthling's uncola.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vaguely remember this. They had one based on the Tyrrel Corp. scene in Blade Runner too, as I recall.

    Primo Space Opera vibe in this one here. Plus Ms. Munro for the capper

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't ignore the decidedly overt Vangelis Blade Runner-ish soundtrack on this. The producers of these spots knew (and probably loved) the movies they were stealing from. Ahh, the 80's, it sure is good to have let them pass, big hair and all...

    ReplyDelete